About the James Logan Speech and Debate Program
The James Logan High School Speech and Debate (“Forensics”) team was founded by Tommie Lindsey Jr. in 1984. Since then, Mr. Lindsey has become one of the top coaches in the nation. The James Logan High School Forensics program has been recognized by Oprah, Jim Leher, and CBS 5 News for its excellence.
Despite private and prominent public schools’ success in the activity, James Logan has put the diverse community of Union City on the national map for forensics competition excellence. As of 2011, James Logan has consecutively won the School of Excellence Award since its inception into the National Forensics League (NFL).
In addition to participating in national competition, the James Logan team attends league-level tournaments and the state tournament. In addition, the team hosts a tournament every year during the M.L.K. Jr. holiday.
While Mr. Lindsey has coached a team for 25 years, his true talent is in education. As a teacher since the 1970s, he has taught at various institutions, with the goal of aiding those who are underrepresented. Mr. Lindsey has built his program around a mantra for his students to be a “voice for the voiceless” and “to have service above self.”
Forensics Program Director: Tommie Lindsey
The James Logan Forensics Team participates in the following speech and debate events:
- LD Debate (LD) Staff: Les Phillips
- Policy (Team) Debate Staff: Les Phillips
- Public Forum Debate (Pofo, PFD) Staff: Les Phillips
- Parliamentary Debate
- Congressional Debate Staff: Ben Mabie
- Extemporaneous Speaking (Extemp) Staff: Ben Mabie, Rajiv Narayan, Jay Baldo
- Expository Speaking (Expos)
- Original Prose/Poetry (OPP)
- Thematic Intep (TI)
- Humorous Interp (HI) / Dramatic Interp (DI) / Duo Interp (DUO)
- Original Oratory (OO)
- Original Advocacy (OA)
Students: If you have questions about any event, you should ask the event captains.
- National Forensics League
- National Forensics League School Profile
- California High School Speech Association
- Golden Gate Speech Association
- Golden Gate Speech Association Judges’ Guide (broken link)
- Wikipedia Directory to Forensics (Speech and Debate) (page moved here)
- NewsHour with Jim Lehrer
- Accidental Hero: Room 408
- James Logan Forensics Team as featured on Oprah’s Angel Network